This course aims to make you able to configure disk partitions and then create filesystems on media such as hard disks, including the handling of swap partitions. You should also be able to maintain a standard filesystem, as well as the extra data associated with a journaling filesystem, configure the mounting of a filesystem, manage disk quotas for users, control file access through the proper use of permissions and ownerships and create and manage hard and symbolic links to a file. You should be thouroughly familiar with the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS), including typical file locations and directory classifications.
Create partitions and filesystem $3.0/mo
- Learn how to create partitions on a disk drive and how to format them for use on a Linux system as swap or data space. In this teek, learn about disk partitions and Linux filesystems. Learn to: Create a partition, Use mkfs commands to set up ext2, ext3, xfs, reiserfs v3,and vfat filesystems, and Create and manage swap space.
How to create partitions and file systems12min
How to create partitions and file systems quiz5min
- Learn how to check the integrity of your Linux filesystems, monitor free space, and fix simple problems. In this teek, learn to: Verify the integrity of filesystems, Monitor free space and inodes, and Repair simple filesystem problems.
How to maintain the integrity of filesystems9min
How to maintain the integrity of filesystems quiz4min
- Learn to mount your Linux filesystems; configure and use removable USB, IEEE 1394, or other devices; and properly access floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs. In this teek, learn to: Mount and unmount filesystems manually, Configure filesystem mounting on bootup, and Configure user-mountable, removable filesystems such as tape drives, external USB drives, floppies, and CDs or DVDs
How to control mounting and unmountaing of filesystems7min
How to control mounting and unmountaing of filesystems quiz5min
Manage disk quotas $3.0/mo
- Learn to set and check disk quotas on your Linux filesystems to prevent individual users from using more space than allowed and to prevent whole filesystems from filling up unexpectedly. In this teek, learn to manage disk quotas for users. Learn to: Set up a disk quota for a filesystem, Set quota limits, Check quotas, and Generate quota reports.
How to manage disk quotas12min
- Learn to manage file ownership and permissions on your Linux filesystems. Learn about access modes such as suid, sgid, and the sticky bit and how to use them to enhance security. In this teek, learn to control file access through correct use of file and directory permissions and ownerships. Learn to: Manage access permissions on both regular and special files as well as directories, Maintain security using access modes such as suid, sgid, and the sticky bit, Change the file creation mask, and Grant file access to group members.
Manage file permissions and ownership - Part18min
Manage file permissions and ownership - Part219min
Manage file permissions and ownership quiz6min
- Learn how to create and manage hard and symbolic links to files on your Linux system. In this article, learn to create and manage hard and symbolic links. Learn to: Create hard or soft links, Identify links and know their type, Understand the difference between copying and linking files, and Use links for system administration tasks.
How to create and change hard and symbolic links12min
How to create and change hard and symbolic links quiz4min
- Learn the correct location for files under the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) on a Linux system and learn how to find important files and commands. In this teek, learn about the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS). Learn to: Recognize where to place files under the FHS, Find files and commands on your Linux system, and Find other important files and directories defined in the FHS and understand their purposes.
Find system files and place in the correct location - Part19min
Find system files and place in the correct location - Part210min
Mario Hartmann (CEO) After graduating from the Conservatory of Bremen in 1989, Mario worked for several years as a professional musician and music teacher. While working as an educator, Mario learned an incredible amount about ... more...
Mario Hartmann (CEO) After graduating from the Conservatory of Bremen in 1989, Mario worked for several years as a professional musician and music teacher. While working as an educator, Mario learned an incredible amount about motivating